Animal Companions and Familiars

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Animal Companions and Familiars

Post by Unreliable Narrator on Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:56 am

So as some of you may have discovered, Familiars are currently disabled. The main reason for this is that many of them are too fantastical and don't seem to fit (panther, hellhound), or are loaded with powerful abilities unsuitable for the server (imp, pixie).

Now, the functionality of summon monster is greatly improved for mages who want a minion. I'd personal prefer if familiars were small animals, or much weaker variations of imp, fey dragon, etc.

But what to do with familiars? These will be big projects but I have a few ideas:

Familiar Override:
Using overrides its possible to create custom familiars. This may seem like a great solution, but it would involve clogging up the server with 100+ extra blueprints for each familiar for each level.

A workaround could be adding the creature blueprints via an override. Does anyone have any experience in this? I know you can add blueprints via hakpacks, as CEP does, and overrides work much the same way. Would anyone be interested in creating a framework for this?

Familiar Henchmen:
Alternatively, we could use the henchmen or summoning system to allow for non-scaling familiars. These would be companions for roleplay and nothing more. You could certainly use Player Tool 01 to move them around if you like. This seems the easiest solution. It would also make unique companions available for reward.

The downside is you'd lose Possession. Is this important to anyone?

A system like this could also be expanded to Animal Companions. I envision a hidden and remote wyvern tamer, or favored retainers rewarded with a wolfhound from the Rowleys' kennel.

...thoughts?
Unreliable Narrator

View user profile http://andrune.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Animal Companions and Familiars

Post by Totems on Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:09 am

I love the idea of henchmen/companion summoning items.

With familiars, might be easier to just script the current ones to summon as something far more low magic. I don't know if you can change their stats however. Never personally edited the familiar scripts.

Totems

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by supergeddes on Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:09 pm

Yep I'm down with the non scaling henchmen/summon. It makes a lot more sense for the animal companions thats for sure and it would make for a lot more interesting role play.

supergeddes

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top